Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Buck fever

Well to say that we had fun would be an under statement. As you can see Cody out did the old man. He bagged himself a 6 point buck, the shot was at about 100 yards plus. The best part was that i got to witness the whole thing. I was sitting in a stand, consisting of a wooden box with a chair in it and a wood roof overlooking a hill side. I had put Cody on the other side of the hill, in another stand which was metal, over looking a pond with a small spring. The north wind was in his face and the morning tempurature was 25 degrees. Cold By 9:30 Cody had enough and came to visit me. He was cold, so i told him to switch with me, it was warmer on this side and i had seen some deer running around and even taken a shot at a large doe. Cody said that uncle Bernie had gone back to the truck already so off i went. I got into the stand and man was it cold, the wind was relentless and just cut right through. Well after about 15 minuets i see my brother Don and his daughter Rachael dragging her deer up to the road so they can pick it up. Well i guessed it was time to leave. I walked over to Cody and as i crested the hill i see he has his riffle shouldered looking to the right. I wispered do you see something.. he nodded yes, are they doe's again he nodded yes... so i started to scan the woods looking for them when all of a sudden we hear brush breaking and look to the right as this buck walks out into the open. Cody quickly swings the riffle left and stops to spot it. It walks about 5 steeps and turns broad side and stops... I am now wispering shoot it. shoot it...Bang the deer turns facing us straight on.. I am now yelling shoot it again its still standing, shoot it again.. Bang the deer starts to leap and drops dead. We both ran down that hill and there on the ground was a beautiful 6 point buck... man what a trophy. I gave my son a hug and said Wow what a deer i am very proud of you son. He was all smiles.. even today i do not think you could wipe that smile off his face.. I said i would drag it up to the road so go get uncle Don and bring the truck. Time of day a little before 10 am. oh and the little button buck on the back of the truck was mine.. i bagged him that evening sitting in the metal shack... more pictures of Missouri to come....
This was the best trip i have ever had....... like the saying goes... 2 airplane tickets to Missour--- $550. 2 non-resident deer permits $290. Seeing the biggest grin on your son's face after getting a deer on his first deer hunt... priceless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

So Rick is crying when he is reading me this story! Great job guys!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home